The council have opened a coronavirus (COVID-19) mobile testing centre on Chapel Lane in Wigan town centre. Chapel Lane is not included on the national online booking system.
Unfortunately, they only have access to a limited number of test kits per week and have had to prioritise key workers who deliver essential frontline services.
You must only book a test at the Wigan test site if:
- You have symptoms of coronavirus (a new continuous cough, a high temperature, loss of taste or smell), or you have been told to get a test; and
- You live or work in the Wigan Borough; and
- Any member of your household is a priority key worker:
- Front line health and social care services workers
- Front Line Environmental Services workers
- Education and child care workers
- Residential care setting workers
- Local authority front line neighbourhood or complex dependencies workers
Before you visit
You must bring proof of employment to the test site, as failure to do so will result in you being refused entry to the site. you live with a priority key worker and they are not the person being tested, then the priority key worker must also attend the test site to validate their own employment. They will not need a test unless they also have symptoms.
Who can get a test?
Anyone with coronavirus symptoms can get a test. Coronavirus symptoms are:
- a high temperature
- a new, continuous cough
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
You can also get a test for someone you live with if they have these symptoms. Do not get tests for people you live with who do not have these symptoms.
You can also get a test if:
- you live in England and have been told to have a test before you go into hospital, for example, for surgery
- your local council asks you to get a test
- you’re taking part in a government pilot project
When to get a test
If you have coronavirus symptoms, you need to get a test done as soon as possible, ideally within the first 5 days of having symptoms.
Book a visit to a test site to have the test today. Or order a home test kit if you cannot get to a test site.
On days 1 to 4, you can get tested at a site or at home. If you’re ordering a home test kit on day 4, do so by 3pm.
On day 5, you need to go to a test site. It’s too late to order a home test kit.
As the service is currently very busy, you may need to try booking your test every few hours.
What the test involves
The test involves taking a swab of the inside of your nose and the back of your throat, using a long cotton bud.
You can do the swab yourself (if you are aged 12 or over) or someone can do it for you. Parents or guardians have to swab test children aged 11 or under.
Get help applying
Booking a test at Chapel Lane is not done through the national booking system.
To book your test in Wigan, use the online application form.
If no tests are available online, do not call helplines to get a test. No extra tests are available through the helplines.
If you have any issues using the online service, call 119.
If you feel very unwell and think something is seriously wrong, call 999.